Friday, March 26, 2010

My response to " Where I lived and What I lived for" by Henry David Thoreau


 “ Where I lived and What I lived for” by Henry David Thoreau is a short essay about Thoreau’s experiences living deep in the woods. “I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately, to front only the essential facts of life, and see if I could not learn what it had to teach, and not, when I came to die, discover that I had not lived (Thoreau, 2007).” He was talking about how we get so caught up in daily drama and things that are not  necessary to stress and think about. Thoreau is saying that when he was living in the woods, he was able to figure out the things in life that were worth worrying  about. Also, near the beginning of Thoreau’s essay, he empathizes that people's lives should be simplier.  I think that he is attempting to say that we need to enjoy our lives without so many activites that we try to cram into one day. We also need to simplify our ways of using different energy sources. 


Reference
Thoreau, David H.(2007). Where I lived and What I lived for.In S.Cohen, 50 essays: a portable anthology. Boston: Bedford/St. Martin's.

1 comment: